From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-01 14:11:03

On 03/26/2005 05:03 PM, Peter Dimov wrote:
> David B. Held wrote:
>
>> Peter Dimov wrote:
>>
>>> The recent lively thread in comp.lang.c++.moderated has sparked my
>>> interest in the policy_ptr proposal. Is the final version of the
>>> submission available?
>>

>> Sadly, no. I'm still working on it. But if you want to poke around
>> the sandbox and make comments now, that would be delightful.
>

> Well... I'm asking because I have looked at the sandbox and none of the
> code or docs there seemed up to date.

As Peter noted, the docs are not up to date. In particular the docs
make no mention of the nested to template which occurs in:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/boost-sandbox/boost-sandbox/libs/policy_ptr/test/smart_ptr_test.cpp?rev=1.6&view=auto

So, I started reading the code and found it would have been helpful
to have read something in the docs, say in a "programmer's guide"
or "rationale" section, which mentioned that the policies were "chained"
together. IOW, the conversion policy is "chained" to the checking
policy, and I guess the checking policy is "chained" or, more
concretely, derived from the ownership policy.

Just my $0.02 worth.

-Regards,
Larry