From: Matthew P. Cashdollar (mpc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-05 03:12:15

Hello,

I used John's logging library for a project at work and it worked well.
  Note that this review is for the previous version, not the one
currently on the website, which I haven't tried yet.

* What is your analysis of the design?

Before trying this library I tried some other C++ logging libraries,
including all the Log4J clones. For various reasons I rejected all of
those - some of them wouldn't even compile, and their documentation was
lacking. I also had my own logging code but it was in a more C style of
programming and I wanted something that was in C++.

Compared to the Log4J clones, I found John's library to be easy to
understand.

There are two shortcomings that I found:

- Whenever you restart your program it wipes out the previous log file.
  I could have coded around this, but it wasn't a big deal to me.

It would be nice to have it automatically rename or append to the old
log file instead of just replacing it, IMO.

- No log rotation. This library does not support log rotation (at least
in the version I tried). I didn't need this feature for my project, but
I'm sure it will be a frequently requested feature.

* What is your evaluation of the documentation?

Great.

* What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library.

Nearly essential. Just about every program I've written uses some kind
of logging.

* Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any
problems?

VS.NET '03 on Win2k, which didn't have any problems.

* How much effort did you put into your evaluation?

I used it in the program I was working on, which was multithreaded, with
each thread printing log messages. I was able to run it on even the
slowest computers without any problem.

* Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

I'm no expert. I just wanted to use a logging library which used
streams instead of printf-style formatting and worked with multiple
threads. This library has fewer features than others, but it gets the
job done.

* Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library?

Yes, but I suggest the author adds log rotation, because it is a feature
lots of people need.

-Matt