From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-19 10:42:41

"Yuval Ronen" <ronen_yuval_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> Actually all the paths are relative. $(BOOST_ROOT) expands to a
>> relative path like ../../.. that is adjusted to a new appropriate
>> value in each Jamfile.
>
> Why is this so? What purpose does it serve, if I may ask. Why not just put
> the relative path in the files?

You can move the Jamfiles around the Boost project without concern for
where they are. Also, when you're deep in a project like
libs/python/test, it's much clearer to write $(BOOST_ROOT)/whatever
than ../../whatever. Can you tell at a glance what the latter refers to?

> Will this be useful for other projects?

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

--
Dave Abrahams