From: Kevin Wheatley (hxpro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-20 04:30:01

John,

He're is our basic setup.

logging to multiple places or 'sinks' - stream (file, stdout, etc),
syslog

controlled by runtime 'levels' so that each destination filters out
what it 'stores'

streams like a file should support rotation on size and/or date, with
possible post rotation actions (e.g. compressing)

the log processing might run under a separate thread so that the slow
actions of logging can be decoupled from the main application. In real
high performance situations this will probably be via some form of
fixed size circular buffer per logging thread and may be allowed to
drop messages on full condition (embeded style applications) other
times buffer may be allowed to grow.

date/time stamps switchable on/off
potentially a 'source' indicator should also be logged e.g. thread id
or alternatively an application provided identifier

clasifications of errors/warnings/info/debug etc each with separate
'levels' should be possible. Whilst this is conceptually odd for
'error' it makes sense under debug or info. There clasifications
should be user supplied to allow for domain specific messages to be
routed to the correct destination

multiple threads should be able to log without affecting others, I see
the core of the logging system as a gather and then scatter type
operation, with a M-N relations ship broken down into a M-1 and 1-N
with each relationship potentially having its own buffer/queue

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |