From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-24 04:28:19

----Original Message----
From: Jeff Flinn [mailto:TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden]]
Sent: 23 May 2005 14:12
To: boost_at_[hidden]
Subject: [boost] Re: Re: [1.33.0] Feature freeze reminder

> "Martin Slater" <mslater_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>>> The problem is that I want to add code that will handle the
>>> previous pointer version. My concern is that users might want to
>>> use 1.33 to read archives created under 1.32 and without this
>>> addition this won't be possible. I presume that some numbers of
>>> people would be effected by such a situation. If not I could just
>>> forget it.
>>
>> Without backwards compatibility with the old shared pointer
>> serialization I for one would not be able to upgrade to the latest
>> version until it appears. All a pain really as I was looking forward
>> to the new improved version.
>
> I'll second that.
>
> Jeff Flinn

Is it being suggested that "adding backwards compatibility" is a new
feature, as opposed to fixing a bug?

I think it will be /enormously/ damaging to Boost's reputation for
professional quality software if it is not possible to read a 1.32 archive
with 1.33. It doesn't take long to build a reputation for "you can never
read a file from old versions", and FOREVER to get rid of it.

--
Martin Bonner
Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]