From: Stuart Dootson (stuart.dootson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-25 07:37:29

On 5/25/05, Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 5/25/05, Stuart Dootson <stuart.dootson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > 1. Download and unpack Boost!
> >
> > 2. Open up a Visual Studio 2003 command prompt window (this is on the
> > Start Menu entry for Visual Studio 2003, and has pre-run vcvars32.bat)
> > and 'cd' to the root Boost directory. Execute the command
> >
> > bjam -sTOOLS=vc-7_1 --prefix=c:\lib\boost
>
> But to do this you need to build (and install someplace in your PATH)
> or download bjam first. Its not hard, but this may not be imediately
> obvious to the newbie.
>
> I really think the Getting Started guide is more than adequate, and is
> concise and easy to follow. There are gigantic yellow numbers next to
> the important steps. Perhaps an "ultra-quick-start for the command
> line averse" could be added, but really how much more hand-holding
> does one need?

You're right, I forgot a step - I was going to download the Boost
distro to see if bjam.exe was in it, but the Sourceforge downloads
area is blocked at work, so I couldn't.

I would tend to agree with you that (for me) the Getting Started guide
is sufficient - but then, I've always been comfortable with using the
command-line (I've got a VAX/VMS and Unix history before Windows).
There are a lot of Windows developers out there who haven't got that
level of comfort.

Stuart Dootson