From: Jason Earl (Jason_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-25 08:37:00

On 25 May 2005, at 14:00, Hendrik Schober wrote:

> Jason Earl <Jason_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> [...]
>> TBH, I think any self respecting C++ user should have experience in a
>> cross platform
>> environment. I'm surprised how many Windows-only programmers there are
>> out there.
>
> Do you want widespread use of boost or do you want
> widespread use of boost among programmers who know
> their way around with a shell?

Well, yes that is a valid point. Being a web designer / programmer as
my main job, I do realise the importance of making something that user
/ client orientated. Obviously, we work hard to make sure that a
project is useable by the largest possible audience.

However in the case of Boost, it's target audience is not your average
client / dumb computer user. It's aimed at professional C++ programmer.
If a C/C++ programmer is expected to understand things like memory
management / allocation concepts and policies, then they shouldn't have
any problem with using a shell. After all anyone with experience with
Unix will realise how of an advantage a shell is in terms of
flexibility when it comes to deploying stuff with scripts etc.

At the same time I'm certainly not against any ideas to simplify the
install process on certain platforms, after all it makes our life as
programmers easier (Just look at the Mac platform now, it appeals to
professional developers, while remaining dummy friendly enough for you
nan to use). I'm just saying that most C++ programmers really shouldn't
have issues with being able to use a shell, after all it's a lot easier
to understand than most things programmers do with C++, likewise a C++
programmer should comfortable with setting up their IDE, after all
using VS.NET isn't the most taxing of IDE's.

I do agree with Reece that UI based systems for configuring Boost would
be a nice icing on the cake in the long run.