From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-25 08:59:26

"Jason Earl" <Jason_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> On 25 May 2005, at 14:00, Hendrik Schober wrote:
>
>> Jason Earl <Jason_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> TBH, I think any self respecting C++ user should have experience in a
>>> cross platform
>>> environment. I'm surprised how many Windows-only programmers there are
>>> out there.

> However in the case of Boost, it's target audience is not your average
> client / dumb computer user. It's aimed at professional C++ programmer. If
> a C/C++ programmer is expected to understand things like memory management
> / allocation concepts and policies, then they shouldn't have any problem
> with using a shell. After all anyone with experience with Unix will
> realise how of an advantage a shell is in terms of flexibility when it
> comes to deploying stuff with scripts etc.

As an evidently non-"self respecting C++ user", I understand "things like
memory management / allocation concepts and policies", while I find it a
pain to have to remember arcane commands to do things that I can do with a
click or a drag & drop. I cheerfully admit to keeping my Unix experience to
a minimum. I have enough to do to keep up with the complexities of C++ and
boost functionality, without learning the intricacies of yet another script
language. As a matter of fact, one of the things I love about boost is how
one can implement in C++ what used to require a .bat file to accomplish.

The point of all of this is that a "self respecting C++ user" should realize
that not all users of the products of our labors share the same usage
patterns as our selves.

Jeff Flinn