From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-25 10:28:40

----Original Message----
From: Jason Earl [mailto:Jason_at_[hidden]]
Sent: 25 May 2005 15:32
To: boost_at_[hidden]
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: Customer Friendlier Boost Installation

> I think a lot of Windows users are too used to things just working
> out of the box, and give up if things don't work like that.

If you change that to "A lot of Windows users are used to things just
working out of the box, and give up if things don't work like that", you
have it exactly right. What is wrong with such expectation?

> As for understanding what targets are etc, I think most developers
> will know what targets are.

I don't. If you use the Microsoft IDE, you never use the term.

[snip]
> Maybe it would be good to have some control over build verbosity
> (there probably already is some, I just haven't looked yet), Maybe
> logging the build info to a file would be better and then logging
> errors, messages etc to the screen (and maybe a separate) log file.

What people REALLY want, is to download headers + pre-built binaries. If
they can't have that, then next best is a pretty gui which asks them all the
questions (with the right defaults), and just works. If they can't have
that, then really good documentation is required, and I don't think boost is
there yet.

--
Martin Bonner
Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]