From: Pablo Aguilar (pablo.aguilar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-25 15:50:44

Hi,

After reading the "Customer Friendlier Boost Installation" thread, I've now
enough motivation to get into this...
I've been planning a boost GUI semi-installer, but hadn't gotten around to
it due to lack of time. I call it "semi" in the sense that it wouldn't be
the typical "wizard like" installer everyone's used to, but rather a
configuring utility for (at least) the IDEs I'm familiar with.

Here's what I thought it should do:
1) Register include/lib directories with VCx
2) Don't know how yet, but try the same with BCB (as I think it's on a
per-project basis, rather than global settings like VC)
3) Allow building of libraries which require it, with the following options:
    - Which compiler(s) to use?
    - Which configuration (debug/threading/static/etc) for each compiler?

I believe that detecting which libraries need building would just be a
matter of searching for a "build" subdirectory within a given library's
directory. Don't know about configurations, though, maybe some simple
parsing of the jamfiles would do..

The reason I chose not to do it as an installer, is because I'm far more
comfortable with developing GUIs with say, BCB, than I am with the installer
programs I've tried.

Comments, suggestions, requests are welcome.

Pablo Aguilar