From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-25 18:40:55

"Pablo Aguilar" <pablo.aguilar_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I believe that detecting which libraries need building would just be a
> matter of searching for a "build" subdirectory within a given library's
> directory.

Yep.

> Don't know about configurations, though, maybe some simple
> parsing of the jamfiles would do..

Don't try to parse Jamfiles. It will be fragile at best and a
disaster at worst. Think of Jamfile contents like C++ source code;
you want a real C++ compiler in order to process that and make any
sense of it. For Jamfiles you want to do any understanding within
Boost.Build.

> The reason I chose not to do it as an installer, is because I'm far
> more comfortable with developing GUIs with say, BCB, than I am with
> the installer programs I've tried.
>
> Comments, suggestions, requests are welcome.

Making Boost easier to install is crucial. I suggest that parties
interested in contributing in some way take the thread to the jamboost
list.

http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm#jamboost

If people prefer we could establish a separate list, but I fear there
might be a great deal of overlap.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting