From: Fabio Fracassi (f.fracassi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-26 05:48:06

David Abrahams wrote:

> "Hendrik Schober" <SpamTrap_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> [...]
>> it
>> spit out a lengthy messagethat that I have an
>> incorrect configuration. It couldn't find Python.
>> Mhmm. Do I need this? Will it even work without
>> Python? (I know it will. But not from the guide.)
>
> Well the message you *actually* get is:
>
> skipping Boost.Python library build due to _missing_ _or_
> _incorrect_ configuration
>
> followed by some other stuff. So if that is insufficient to make it
> clear that the build will will work even without Python, what do we
> need to do in order to make it clear?

Perhaps the output should be something like the current linux kernel or
kde's build systems output:

Building boost_program_options ... [ok]
Building boost_pyhton ... [skipped]
  Couldn't find an installation of Python, which is needed for this target.
  If you don't use Boost.Python you don't have to worry about this.
Building boost_spirit ... [ok]

> Should the tool be silent while building unless it encounters an
> error?

I think so. Perhaps provide a --verbose options which also states which
commands get executed.

> Perhaps a string of dots, just so you know there's progress?

I like "Building <target_name> ..." better.

>> Now I would need to link to this stuff. But where
>> exactly do I need to point my linker at?
>
> Really, is there something unclear about
> http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html#Build_Install
> ??
>
> I can't imagine how we could make this clearer. Can you help?

Perhaps output something like:

Installed Boost 1.33 into "C:\Boost".
  Headers are installed in "C:\Boost\include\boost-1_33"
  Libraries are installed in "C:\Boost\lib"
   add this to your PATH for automatic linking.

at the end of the bjam run?

>> Conclusion: I have seen smoother installations on
>> Windows,
>
> Certainly. We should be providing an installer with pre-built
> binaries.
>
>> I have installed easier to build libs, and
>> I have seen guides that weren't written for mere
>> insiders.

Lucky you. ;) I have yet to find an binary install which realy works out of
the box, under all circumstances, and a Guide which helps in the cases
where the installer crashes, or doesn't do the right thing.

I found the boost installation under windows quite easy, compared to some
other libs I had to install, but that might be because i don't know Windows
too well, and found installing libraries under Windows quite complicated in
comparison with Linux.

Just my ?0.02

Fabio