From: Hendrik Schober (SpamTrap_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-26 07:21:03

Jonathan Wakely <cow_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 01:08:10PM +0200, Hendrik Schober wrote:
>
> > David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Where did you get the idea you needed to pass "vc"? This is not a
> > > criticism; we need to know how you were led into this so we can figure
> > > out how to fix it.
> >
> > I'm still unable to understand the sentence
> > "Invoke the build system, specifying the toolset(s)
> > you wish to use, to build and install." (step #5)
> > in any other way. The examples below used "gcc", I
> > figured I should replace this by "vc", which was to
> > be found in the table right above this (step #3).
>
> No it isn't! You _still_ haven't bothered to read that table!

  1. Why should I? I'm the novice's advocate here. :)
  2. I did read it.

> It's really not hard. You're told to pick a toolset to use with the
> -sTOOLS option and the table says "TOOLS name" in the column heading.

  That's why I (eventually) picked the entry
  under "TOOLS name" and used it together with
  the "-sTOOLS" option.
  <surprised> Was that wrong, too? Or did you
  misread my mail(s)?

> It doesn't say "click a column in the table and then pick a variable
> from the table on the next page"

  No, it doesn't.
  (However, it does say "For information about
  configuring each toolset, click its name in
  the leftmost column." And we're under the
  header "Configuring the tools" here.)

  Note: I'm not saying that what's written
  there is plain wrong or even written to
  mislead people. What I said is that I, by
  quick reading, read wrong. And obviously
  I wasn't the only one who failed to build
  the libs at first attempt.
  Now you can all go and say this isn't for
  the faint of heart who don't read carefully
  -- and you're going to lose many potential
  users who use other libraries without many
  problems. Or you can say you want this as
  easy as possible so that it will get widely
  used. Then you should make it easier.
  (You won't lose me either way. I am using
  some of boost for quite a while and I am
  sure I would find a way to build the libs
  that require it if I spent enough time.)

> jon

  Schobi

--
SpamTrap_at_[hidden] is never read