From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-26 07:50:47

Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On 5/25/05, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>> > Admittedly there should be example command lines for vc-7_1 etc and
>> > not just gcc.
>>
>> Can you suggest where we should show those examples? There are quite
>> a few toolsets! Maybe in the table?
>
> Perhaps a new section in Getting Started, called something like "Quick
> Start for the Impatient":
>
> This is for the impatient developer who just wants to get up and
> running with any or all of Boost, but doesn't have the time or desire
> to learn the intricacies of the <link:Boost.Build> system. If you
> have one of the compilers mentioned below, you can build and install
> Boost by:
>
> * Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 on Windows 2000 or XP (95/98?)
>
> ** Start Menu > Run > cmd
> ** bjam -sTOOLS=vc-7_1
> ** Did you get an the error like <code>'bjam' is not recognized as an
> internal or external command, operable program or batch file</code>?
> Right click this <link:bjam.exe> and select Save As...
> c:\windows\bjam.exe (or c:\winnt\bjam.exe). Repeat the previous step.
>
> * Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005 Beta 2 on Windows 2000 or XP (95/98?)
>
> ** Same steps as for VS.NET 2003, but type <code>bjam -sTOOLS=vc-8_0
> install</code> instead.
>
> * GNU gcc/g++ 3.3 (2.95? 3.2?) or later on just about any UNIX-like OS
> under the sun:
>
> ** Start a shell
> ** Download Boost from <link:tar.gz file>.
> ** chdir boost_<version>
> ** bjam -sTOOLS=gcc install [discuss --prefix?]
> ** Did you get an error like <code>bjam: command not found</code>?
> Type <code>chdir tools/build/jam_src && ./build.sh gcc</code>. Copy
> the resulting bjam executable from bin.<something> to ~ (e.g. <code>cp
> bin.<tab>/bjam ~</code>). Repeat the previous step, but begin with

You seriously want an example like that for every one of 51 toolsets?
I don't think that's very reasonable unless we put that on the
individual description page for each one. And I doubt anyone that
didn't find his tools in the first three would page through the rest
looking for what he needed. But maybe I'm too pessimistic. Would you
like CVS access so you can try editing the site and we can see how it
looks?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting