From: Brian Braatz (brianb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-26 09:04:35

[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]]
> On Behalf Of Hendrik Schober
>
> We are using more than two dozen 3rd-party SDKs and
> libraries, both free software and commercial ones,
> some across almost half a dozen platforms. We are
> using boost since 2001.
>
> I have never written an MFC app. Not a single one.
> (Of a dozen or so developers here, I know one who
> has for some toy projects.)
>
> I am considered the "C++ expert" here and people
> often are annoyed that I am forcing them to learn
> where 'typename' is required, how template template
> parameters are working, and what these 4k error
> messages from template meta code mean. :^> (I would
> suppose everyone here knows what virtual bases are
> for.)
>
> I have failed to build/install boost without
> putting considerably more effort into it than I
> needed to put into many other libraries. That is, I
> was unable to just download it and check it out.
> I think this would be the same with most Win/Mac
> developers here.
>
> > /David Bergman

[Brian Braatz Writes:]

Yes I understand where you are coming from. And if everything remains
the same, Boost will only be available for people capable of doing this.

The difficulty here, in my humble opinion, is the simple fact that this
list has *extremely* smart people on it. This is great, but a difficulty
with *extremely* smart people, is if THEY have an easy time of something
they tend to loose sight of that being difficult for someone else.

Boosters can choose to expend zero effort on this thinking. All it will
mean is much less people will be exposed to boost. (that's too bad)

I take my position with great authority and experience. Dare I say that
my qualifications in this area far exceed the average booster.
I, unlike the major of you, exist as a complete and total idiot.

:)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former. "

Albert Einstein