From: Jonathan Wakely (cow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-27 04:57:53

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 10:51:32AM +0200, Hendrik Schober wrote:

> David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Jonathan Wakely <cow_at_[hidden]> writes:
> >
> > > Attached patch implements the idea I proposed below, in case it's
> > > wanted.
> >
> > Now that I look at it, I guess its effectiveness will be vastly
> > reduced if we don't implement naming consistency for vc6 and 7, right?
>
> Yes, definitely. And how about extending this (or
> coming up with another scheme) so that it equally
> applies to all tool sets? Because my next question
> would be: How do I build for GCC 3.3.3 and 3.4.X?

You'd click on "gcc" in the toolset table (you managed to click the
"vc7" toolset and pick a variable there, surely you can do it for GCC :)

That shows the valid variables for the gcc toolset, among them is
GCC_ROOT_DIRECTORY. Set that to the right place for each GCC
installation you want to use. They don't need different toolsets
because they work the same and take the same options so the same JamFiles
work for any version of GCC. I use something like the following for
each GCC I build for:

GCC_ROOT_DIRECTORY = /foo/bar/gcc/4.x ;

and because I have a 64-bit machine:

GCC_STDLIB_DIRECTORY = /foo/bar/gcc/4.x/lib64 ;

> And does "cw" really apply to CW6, 7, 8, and 9???

Probably, I don't know for sure. As with GCC the same JamFiles probably
work for all versions.

jon