From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-28 10:27:23

On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:55:55 +0800, Manfred Doudar wrote
> John Maddock wrote:
>
> >> Under the pretext of my argument, I think it would be a
> >> good idea if Boost had as part of its offical web-site,
> >> an area where commercial enterprise can list their use of
> >> Boost in their projects.
> >

> > It's been suggested before, and met pretty much universal agreement,
> > for some reason it's never been implemented.

Yep -- this discussion was one of the points made at our OOPSLA gathering.
It's very simple -- many open source projects have a list of users. This list
has a tendency to 'inspire confidence' in potential new users.

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?OOPSLA2004/Workshop_--_Results

> I really hope others are attune to this issue. I know quite a few
> are rather busy at this time, especially considering the work being put
> into the release of 1.33 ... but how might this issue be pushed along?

Yes, but like many great ideas associated with Boost the reason it hasn't been
implemented is simply time and motivated volunteers. Of course we need to
discuss 'how' to collect the information, but what we really need is a new
contributors to take on the project...

Here's some simple ways I can imagine gathering and implementing this:
*Do an initial collection by making posts on various C++ lists and as people
to send info about their usage of boost
*Make a static web-page that is incorporated into the boost site
*Establish a form on the boost pages which users can fill out to collect new
information...
*Somehow use the wiki for gathering this info...
*etc...

Jeff
ps: I changed the title on the thread to hopefully attract more attention...