From: Brian Ravnsgaard Riis (brian_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-28 10:37:35

Bertolt Mildner wrote:
> yes, spaces used to make problems, but that should have gone!?
>
> Which (widely used) tools on Win32 still have problems with spaces?

All the GNU tools. Which means a MinGW installation as well. I agree it
sucks, but...

>>Disagree. %PROGRAMFILES% is intended for program files. There is no
>>"correct" location for development files on Windows. Myself, I have a
>>"C:\src" directory where all development takes place. (I agree with you
>>otherwise: Littering the root with directories is Not Nice.)
>

> As there is no common place for libraries (incl. header, static link libs)
> the next best IMHO thing is %PROGRAMFILES%.
>

> What options do we have:
>
> - new dir in root: Not a option, imagine everyone would do that!

Isn't it?

C:\Lib\boost\...
C:\Lib\wxwidgets\...

Of course, this assumes that everyone will "play nice" and actually use
C:\Lib\ as starting point. This would definitely be my choice, though.

> - system directory (\Windows, \WinNT, ...): That's a BIG NO-NO!

A VERY big no-no!

> - "documents and settings" (\Dokumente und Einstellungen in german):
> Settings does not fit, documents could fit somehow but typically only
> documents one creates himself should go there.

Actually, I was wondering about C:\Documents and
Settings\<user>\Application Data\... But then we have the issue with the
spaces again.

> - %PROGRAMFILES%: That is all what is left, and it is the typical place to
> install to!

I'm not really opposed to it, if everyone agrees on it. Using
%PROGRAMFILES% for it just sorta rubs me the wrong way. But, as
mentioned, there's no "right" location, so...

--
  /Brian Riis