From: Andrey Melnikov (melnikov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-28 12:18:26

Brian Ravnsgaard Riis wrote:
> Bertolt Mildner wrote:

>> As there is no common place for libraries (incl. header, static link
>> libs)
>> the next best IMHO thing is %PROGRAMFILES%.

Well, even Microsoft isn't sure what location to use. DDK installes to
root, and Platform SDK to Program files. So I think boost should
introduce such a location and suggest other libraries to select this
installation location too.

>> What options do we have:
>>
>> - new dir in root: Not a option, imagine everyone would do that!
>

> Isn't it?

I agree.

Now boost is a bad example for other libraries. If all libraries will
follow boost's example, we would get c:\boost, c:\zlib, c:\cppunit,
c:\mpich2 etc. This is definitely a bad idea.

> C:\Lib\boost\...
> C:\Lib\wxwidgets\...
>
> Of course, this assumes that everyone will "play nice" and actually use
> C:\Lib\ as starting point. This would definitely be my choice, though.

I would suggest just %SystemDrive%\lib:

users will have to /I %SystemDrive%\lib\boost_1_33 and add
%SystemDrive%\lib\ to their source paths. Includes for other libraries
should go to %SystemDrive%\lib\zlib_1_2_1 and libraries for other
libraries should go to \lib\lib along with boost.

I really like boost library file naming convention, and it would be nice
if other libraries would move to this convention and folder layout.

Anderei