From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-30 09:45:41

Robert Mathews wrote:
> And all programming shops I've been to pick a particular compiler,
> programming model, and then stick with it, so the following idea should
> work:
>
> So, what you'd do it is write a installer stub that displayed a UI
> 1) queried for compiler model
> 2) queried for compile model (single threaded, multithreaded, static, dll
> etc)
>
> And then took that information and went off and downloaded the correct
> library.

What happens when the combination they select is not available as a
binary download? We, meaning the Boost developers, can't be expected to
build binaries for every possible toolset and combination out there.

> Seems simple enough to me. Much simpler than trying to recreate the UNIX
> auto-config behaviour on Windows, because Windows just isn't very robust
> that way.

Boost.Config already does that. As pointed out on another post, it's the
building of bjam and running it that people need help with. A UI that
does that for you would be enough to get over the hurdle. If it also
installs extensions to your IDE that make running bjam, or using
Jamfiles as projects, directly in the IDE I would think that solves all
the getting started issues in the most portable manner.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything