From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-31 11:13:46

"Reece Dunn" <msclrhd_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:

>> graph."

>> > Oh it should. I didn't say anything against that,
>> > did I?
>>
>>Well, no, but telling you that we found 4471 targets and we're
>>updating 1123 of them has to be more cryptic than helpful!
>
> It gives you an indication that there were errors,

No, that's my point; it doesn't. Only 3 of those it found didn't get
built. You'd still see two different numbers if everything went
right.

>>we should tell you the names of the targets we can't find, right?
>
> It would also be usefil to list the targets that failed to build as a
> summary without the targets that the failing targets are dependant upon
> (i.e. don't display the skipped targets in the summary).

>> > I suggest "stage" to be either removed or better
>> > explained.
>>
>>I agree. I think I still don't really understand the differences
>>between stage and install.
>
> A stage is what happens as part of the build process. For example,
> the GCC build process is split into stages, building a version of
> the compiler that is then used to build the next stage. For the
> Boost build process, stage is used to create the libraries only so
> you can use the headers provided in your Boost distribution.

That's not a very descriptive name, IMO, and I don't see the analogy
to the GCC build stages (with which I am familiar).

> An install is what happend when the build succeeds, allowing you to
> place the results into a common distribution directory. This will
> also include other files that are required (e.g. language
> files). The Boost build process copies the header files into the
> directory you are installing to as well as building the libraries so
> that directory is like standard SDK/library distributions.
>
> Summing up: use stage if you want to use the headers from the place you
> extracted Boost to; use install if you want to use the directory where the
> library files are built to.

That's simple enough; we should put that description in the getting
started guide.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting