From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-31 13:15:12

From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> "Hendrik Schober" <SpamTrap_at_[hidden]> writes:
> > David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >>
> >> What should it say?
> >
> > "Parsing jam file"?
> > Or better yet: "parsing build rules"?
>
> Well, it's much more than parsing. It's actually "evaluating" or
> "executing" them. I think "executing" would be misleading, so maybe
> "evaluating" would be better.

"Determining what needs to be built"?

"Determining the work required to build Boost"?

> >> So if that is insufficient to make it clear that the build will will
> >> work even without Python, what do we need to do in order to make it
> >> clear?
> >
> > Maybe something along those lines:
> > "Unable to find Python. Cannot build the Boost.Python
> > lib. If you want to use Boost.Python, look at the docs
> > at <link>. Proceeding with other libs..."
>
> It's currently:

> *** If you don't need Boost.Python, you can ignore this section ***
                                                                 ^
Add a semicolon.

> *** pass --without-python to suppress this message in the future ***
>
> skipping Boost.Python library build due to missing or incorrect configuration

> How's that?

Looks perfect (with the semicolon).

> >> Why shouldn't the tool output messages in non-build-system-ese? [...]
> >
> > Oh it should. I didn't say anything against that,
> > did I?
>
> Well, no, but telling you that we found 4471 targets and we're
> updating 1123 of them has to be more cryptic than helpful!

How about something along these lines:

   Found 4471 items to build, of which 3348 were already current.
   Updated 1123 items.

> >> Well, what do you think? I mean, of course, dots while there's
> >> success, and error messages when there are errors.
> >
> > Mhmm. Not seeing anything is always distracting.
> > Seeing to much isn't good either. So the dots
> > are probably a good idea.
>
> Okay.

There's always the old standby approach of printing, in
succession, the following strings:

   "\r-"
   "\r\"
   "\r|"
   "\r/"
   repeat

That avoids spewing thousands of lines or characters of output,
yet gives active feedback.