From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-31 15:02:51

Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:

> From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>

>> > "Parsing jam file"?
>> > Or better yet: "parsing build rules"?
>>
>> Well, it's much more than parsing. It's actually "evaluating" or
>> "executing" them. I think "executing" would be misleading, so maybe
>> "evaluating" would be better.
>
> "Determining what needs to be built"?

Not really accurate.

> "Determining the work required to build Boost"?

Kinda vague.

I guess I'd say "building dependency graph." That's about as accurate
as possible in this case.

>> > Maybe something along those lines:
>> > "Unable to find Python. Cannot build the Boost.Python
>> > lib. If you want to use Boost.Python, look at the docs
>> > at <link>. Proceeding with other libs..."
>>
>> It's currently:

>> *** If you don't need Boost.Python, you can ignore this section ***
> ^
> Add a semicolon.

These are not supposed to be sentences. The semicolon adds nothing.
If I were trying to follow rules for writing English prose the ***s
would have to go too.

>> Well, no, but telling you that we found 4471 targets and we're
>> updating 1123 of them has to be more cryptic than helpful!
>
> How about something along these lines:
>
> Found 4471 items to build, of which 3348 were already current.
> Updated 1123 items.

Not really accurate. Most of the items are sources (headers, even),
so they're not "items to build." They're just nodes in the dependency
graph.

> There's always the old standby approach of printing, in
> succession, the following strings:
>
> "\r-"
> "\r\"
> "\r|"
> "\r/"
> repeat
>
> That avoids spewing thousands of lines or characters of output,
> yet gives active feedback.

Does that really work reliably and portably, or are some people going to see

  -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/....

??

I suppose it's not much worse than dots if they do. But if it comes
out as

  -
  \

  /