From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-31 20:58:41

"Hendrik Schober" <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> [...]
>> >
>> > "Determining what needs to be built"?
>>
>> Not really accurate.
>>
>> > "Determining the work required to build Boost"?
>>
>> Kinda vague.
>>
>> I guess I'd say "building dependency graph." That's about as accurate
>> as possible in this case.
>
> Honestly, I think you're putting much too much
> effort into this. For one, this was only a small
> destraction. Further, those who know what the
> tool is doing exactly obviously didn't mind the
> pause. And those who are to be destracted by it
> don't know enough to appreciate these efforts.
> Heck, maybe even another "be patient..." would
> do.

Okay. Just some indication that it's working on something will be enough.

> If I just know the thing doesn't hang but it's
> doing a lengthy operation everything will be a
> lot better than it was.
>
>> [...]
>> > There's always the old standby approach of printing, in
>> > succession, the following strings:
>> >
>> > "\r-"
>> > "\r\"
>> > "\r|"
>> > "\r/"
>> > repeat
>> >
>> [...]

I think I've subscribed to that suggestion now.

> How about only printing
> Bulding Boost.Threads...
> ...Success.
> Building Boost.XYZ...
> ...Success.
> etc.?

Yes, I was thinking of something similar. That will require some
significant overhaul of the build system, though, including bjam, I
think.

> This is something to be used by developers.
> They have an idea of how long it takes to compile
> a bunch of cpp files and put them into a library
> and won't get nervous if the tool just eats up
> CPU time without emitting something for a few
> minutes.

True. Unless they're not used to compiling template-heavy code ;-)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting