From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-01 12:57:19

Tom Brinkman wrote:

> One easy improvement would be to require that each approved library be
> endorsed/sponsered by a least one prominent boost member, such as Dave
> Abrahms, Jeff Garland or Thorsten Ottosen.

This is an easy improvement only if you're not Dave, Jeff or Thorsten ;-)

> Another easy improvement would be to add accepted libraries under a
> probation or beta period of say six months. The library would remain
> beta until its stable enough and has additional time for more user
> scrutiny. A prominent boost member would make the judgement about
> when to remove the library from its beta period. During the beta
> period, the library author would be asked to complete the libraries
> documentation, examples and requested changes from the additional user
> scrutiny.

Why make a library which has been in development for a long time and has
received intense scrutiny undergo a probationary period?

> If there are no objections, I will start requesting that libraries
> under review be sponsered by at least prominent boost member. This
> would ensure that accepted libraries meet the approval of a least one
> prominent boost member.

This sounds similar to the mentoring idea that was proposed after the OOPSLA
meeting. I think it's a good idea, as long as you expand the list of
"prominents" to include all active library authors and maintainers.

> Review Wizard,
> Tom Brinkiman

Jonathan