From: Jody Hagins (jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-06 12:39:47

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 12:12:04 -0400
David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> What's a builddir?

The --builddir option to bjam, as documented in
boost/more/getting_started.html

> > but when running bjam NOT from the top-level
> > directory, I seem to have a very difficult time getting things to
> > build properly.
>
> Can you give some clues as to what problems you have?

It always wants to build and link in $BOOST_ROOT/bin/boost instead of
the build directories. I build for speveral different OS/compiler
versions out of the same source tree.

> > I am fairly comfortable with building boost. However, anytime I
> > have to delve into the specific directories, I find that the builds
> > are VERY different from invoking bjam in the top directory,
> > especially when using the builddir and stagedir commands from the
> > top level directory.
>
> There are no such commands anywhere else.
>
> You can set ALL_LOCATE_TARGET to point at the root directory of a
> build tree, if that helps.

I'll try that again. The last time I tried that one, it didn't work
quite right, and I reverted back to using a separate directory and
building all in the "default" location. It's funny, though, because the
documentation for building boost suggests using a separate build
directory, yet it seems a bit clumsy to get it to work appropriately
from subdirs.

Also, when a do a bjam clean from within a subdirectory, it removes the
needed libraries as well. Thus, when I rebuild, it has to rebuild the
test libraries too...