From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-06 11:12:04

Jody Hagins <jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Instructions on unpacking, and running the tests/examples would be nice
> to have for each library being reviewed.

There's no need to repeat these instructions for each individual
library. It's essentially the same procedure for each of them. The
problem is that we have a pretty installation interface at the
top-level that's a wrapper over the slightly uglier interface that
BBv1 uses most of the time, and it doesn't apply lower down.

> Actually, some docs on running stuff from individual directories would
> be nice, since I always seem to get it wrong. The build docs suggest
> using a builddir,

What's a builddir?

> but when running bjam NOT from the top-level
> directory, I seem to have a very difficult time getting things to build
> properly.

Can you give some clues as to what problems you have?

> I am fairly comfortable with building boost. However, anytime I have to
> delve into the specific directories, I find that the builds are VERY
> different from invoking bjam in the top directory, especially when using
> the builddir and stagedir commands from the top level directory.

There are no such commands anywhere else.

You can set ALL_LOCATE_TARGET to point at the root directory of a
build tree, if that helps.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting