From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-06 16:09:00

"Brian Braatz" <brianb_at_[hidden]> writes:

> boost-bounces_at_[hidden] wrote:
>> On Behalf Of Jonathan Turkanis
>>
>> I'm one of those people who feels I
>> must put a lot of work into a review. For the FSM review I broke
>> this policy and wrote a review even though I had only studied the
>> documentation. My review was negative; it was basically a list of
>> what I considered to be shortcomings of the library.
>>
>> I ended up getting into an unpleasant exchange with the library
>> author, who repeatedly challenged me to suggest concrete changes to
>> the design to fix the perceived problems. I had examined the library
>> more thoroughly, my guess is that I would have been able to suggest
>> improvements. I don't blame the library author in this case; it's
>> only natural to ask for an alternate design when you are told that
>> your design is flawed;

Maybe, but you shouldn't feel guilty. The onus is on the proposer to
come up with a good design.

>> however, I simply didn't have sufficient time to devote to the
>> library.
>
> [Brian Braatz Writes:]
>
> What are the expectations here? I find myself in this spot
> frequently. I see something up for review, and it ALWAYS happens at
> the worst time for me. I look at it, but I tend to not say much unless
> I can REALLY devote the time needed to give the library the proper
> amount of review time.
>
> There might be "no answer" to the expectations questions. But I would
> be curious how others feel about this.
>
> I.e. If I only have an hour or two to look at something- is it still
> useful for me to submit a review?

Whenever you feel like you can say something useful. I often have
something useful to say after looking at the first few pages of
documentation.

> Part of the problem I have is an enormous respect for what a boost
> library is. It is not something one slaps together just to get their
> name in lights (to me at least). A boost library makes you go
> "Wow". if it doesn't make you go "Wow" it doesn't belong in boost.

:)

> But if I cannot devote the time needed to review something DEEPLY, I
> feel it is somewhat disrespectful for me to participate.
>
> Do you guys think I am wrong to feel this way? Or do you find the
> opinions of a quick review valuable?

I do.

Personally, I think too many libraries have been accepted recently
with insufficient scrutiny. There are certainly a few I would have
liked to have seen challenged along the lines of "this doesn't make me
go wow," or "does the world really need this library?"

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting