From: Dave Harris (brangdon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-06 17:06:54

manfred.doudar_at_[hidden] (Manfred Doudar) wrote (abridged):
> >The question for me is what the default should be. And in my view, the
> >default should be safe rather than fast.
>
> From what I gather, and the commentary you make below, I seriously beg
> to differ. Back to the year dot with C & C++ we've never had such a
> thing as pre-initialization of arrays and it'd be a bad time to start
> such a movement now.

But std::vectors do initialise. It's the modern way :-) ("This is old and
therefore good" versus "This is new and therefore better".)

In my view, making the default case fast but dangerous is premature
optimisation. If you need that trade-off you should request it explicitly.

-- Dave Harris, Nottingham, UK.