From: Andreas Brinck (Andreas.Brinck_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-07 03:08:57

Hi,

> For this to work, one needs a SFINAE compiler, right?

yes, perhaps the code could be modified to use the boost::enable_if utility to make it a bit clearer what's going on.

> I faintly remember that early versions of the documentation (during
> review) described a completely different type of support for classes
> with operator new. I don't recall the details but I believe
> that one was
> able to specialize a template for types with operator new.
> While being
> slightly more cumbersome, this sort of support would work
> with virtually
> any compiler, not just the ones that support SFINAE. It would be
> interesting to hear why this kind of operator new support was
> discontinued later.

I think you answered your own question. Judging from the lack of responses to my post, serializing objects with overloaded new doesn't seem to be important to most people.

I guess the maintainers of the library didn't want to complicate the interface to accomodate a small minority of users.

The SFINAE principle is probably the best way to handle it right now.

Regards

/Andreas Brinck