From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-09 21:09:52

This sort of question comes up from time to time.

On one hand, one has as an archive syntax one wants to target.

On the other hand, one's program has a structure of C++ class instances
which implement the code.

Only by the most fortunate of coincidences are these going to match.

There are tools which, given an XML schema will produce matching C++
classes.

The serialization system does the opposite. That is, given C++ instances it
will produce XML.

So this may not be what you want. You might be able to make it work if you
craft your C++ data structures with this in mind and/or derived your special
archive class.

I considered the possibility of automatically generating an XML schema
(*.xsd) which would be generated in parallel with the XML output. But it
turned out not to be necessary for serialization. But I believe that would
permit one to use some other tool to transform the serialization out XML
into something more to taste.

Robert Ramey