From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-10 11:04:40

John Maddock wrote:
>> Pray tell me, why would you add the path to the standard library
>> directory
>> gcc/ld will search by default? Simply leave it away and the tools will
>> search in the right place by default.
>

> bjam doesn't know that it's been told to look in a std path, it's just
> been told to "look here", wherever "here" is. Whatever I working on a
> fix to improve this.

It is generally quite dangerous to explicitely add standard paths (at least
for include paths). Gcc goes to great length to provide wrapper headers that
fix certain bugs / incompatibilities in system headers, and explicitely
adding '-I/usr/include' would circumvent this mechanism.
I'm not sure whether there is any similar issue with library paths, though.

FWIW,
                Stefan