From: Neal Becker (ndbecker2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-12 14:21:00

Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> John Maddock wrote:
>>> Pray tell me, why would you add the path to the standard library
>>> directory
>>> gcc/ld will search by default? Simply leave it away and the tools will
>>> search in the right place by default.
>>

>> bjam doesn't know that it's been told to look in a std path, it's just
>> been told to "look here", wherever "here" is. Whatever I working on a
>> fix to improve this.
>
> It is generally quite dangerous to explicitely add standard paths (at
> least for include paths). Gcc goes to great length to provide wrapper
> headers that fix certain bugs / incompatibilities in system headers, and
> explicitely adding '-I/usr/include' would circumvent this mechanism.
> I'm not sure whether there is any similar issue with library paths,
> though.

Maybe this gcc option could be useful?

`-print-file-name=LIBRARY'
     Print the full absolute name of the library file LIBRARY that
     would be used when linking--and don't do anything else. With this
     option, GCC does not compile or link anything; it just prints the
     file name.

I think what's really needed is a pkg-config for gcc