From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-11 07:42:34

"Peder Holt" <peder.holt_at_[hidden]> wrote

> As a user of typeof, I would certainly find this very useful. It
> allows the programmer to take evasive action if the typeof operation
> fails, by finding a suitable type in another way.

Well, as the discussion about result_of shows, it might make sense.
Although, I think, for 99% of uses one just wants the compiler to show which
types need to be registered.

> #1 would not help me here.
> #2, on the other hand, allows me check if the type 'returned' by
> typeof is not_registered. If it is, one can programatically work
> around it.
>
> my suggestion would yield #2

OK, agreed.

> Another useful feature, would be to detect if an expression is too
complex.
> If an expression has a complexity>BOOST_TYPEOF_LIMIT_SIZE, typeof
> should 'return' boost::type_of::type_too_complex or similar.
>
> This can be achieved in a similar way to what I suggested earlier.

Right.

Let's just say it can be done if there is a specific request for this. I
would not like to add any features that are not going to be used.

Regards,
Arkadiy