From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-18 10:34:44

Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>>>However, trying this same thing under NetBSD/i386 (GCC 3.3.3) resulted
>>>in the expected files; the .so.1.32.0 was not created, and the .so one
>>>was a real file, not a link.
>>
>>Perhaps NetBSD doesn't support versioned shared libraries, or the
>>Boost.Build plumbing doesn't know how to create them on that platform.

It's the later.

> It does support versioned shared libraries. Unfortunately, something
> seems broken in this case. Will keep investigating, now that I know
> that the incorrect thing happens under NetBSD, not Linux.

In the boost-root/tools/build/v1/gcc-tools.jam file, current CVS state,
around lines 163-188 there's a switch for specifying the needed options
to get version SO names working. It's this way because SO names are a
linker feature and the linker varies per platform and not per compiler.
This bit of code would need to acquire a new case for NetBSD, or
possibly *BSD, as there's already an OpenBSD case.

Am I correct in guessing that the linker option for specifying the
soname in NetBSD is the same as for OpenBSD? Namely "-soname [libname]".
If it is I can just change the "OpenBSD" case to cover all "*BSD" cases.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything