From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-18 19:00:42

"Hendrik Schober" <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I voluteered to look at how to make the "Getting Started"
> section of the homepage a bit easier to understand and
> follow. (Reminder: I failed to install boost on Windows due
> to stupid errors on my side which I claimed could have been
> avoided with an easier guide.)
> My time to do this is very limited, which is why this takes
> so long. Sorry, but I can't help it.
> I attached a zipped archive of what I have so far. (Unpack
> onto the "more" folder.) I threw this at some fellow workers
> being used to work with Windows. This gave some feedback of
> where I failed. Also, Dave has already put a lot of work
> into reviewing it and this brought many improvements.
> As I still don't understand Boost.Build (I consider it very
> important to remain as ignorant as the targeted audience
> while working on this guide. :o> ), I'd like this to first
> be reviewed here instead of just checking it in.

I'd like to see the individual steps more clearly delineated. For
example, instead of

  Download

  The Boost Libraries are distributed through the SourceForge file
  distribution system. Click here to download releases from
  SourceForge.

  The Boost release includes all of the libraries and other material
  from the web site. It is available in ZIP, TAR.GZ, and TAR.BZ2
  formats. Past releases are also available.

  Unpack the release to a convenient location.

  It is also possible to download current snapshots of
  work-in-progress from Boost's CVS repository.

I'd rather see

  Download

  * We recommend working with an official release of Boost.

    1. Click here to download releases from SourceForge.

       The Boost release includes all of the libraries and other material
       from the web site. It is available in ZIP, TAR.GZ, and TAR.BZ2
       formats. Past releases are also available.

    2. Unpack the release to a convenient location.

  * You can also download current snapshots of work-in-progress from
    Boost's CVS repository.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting