From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-21 04:50:48

----Original Message----
From: H. van Niekerk [mailto:h.v.niekerk_at_[hidden]]
Sent: 20 June 2005 19:22
To: boost_at_[hidden]
Subject: [boost] shared_ptr question

> Hi,
>
> I'm rather new to shared_ptr and I'm not very experienced in
> programmer
> with C++ but have to do it anyway.
> My problem is this: I have 3 .cpp files, e.g. Master.cpp, Client.cpp
> and Satellite.cpp.
>
> Originally, Master.cpp is the only .cpp file, and uses auto_ptr to
> enable writing and reading from an interface. Like this:
>
> {
> auto_ptr<FtInterface> fti (ftGetIfFromFactory(device,
> connection));
> fti->getIfInfo(ii);
> IfOutputs out; // to set interface outputs (ctor clears
> // everything to 0)
> IfInputs inp; // to be read from interface
> fti->writeAndReadAllData(out, inp);
> }
>
> This works well with every action taking place in this file. Now, as
> said I have those 3 .cpp files. Master.cpp sends an argument to
> Client.cpp and Client.cpp sends it to Satellite.cpp. Satellite.cpp
> reads
> from the interface, and sends it back via Client.cpp to Master.cpp. I
> can't use auto_ptr with this and from the Boost-documentation I can't
> figure out exactly how to use shared_ptr for this. Can somebody please
> help me out?
>
> I hope I explained my problem clear enough.

I'm afraid you didn't. Could you write some sample (pseudo-) code just
using raw C pointers and not worrying about memory leaks? Then we can
probably work out how to rewrite using smart pointers.

Incidentally, I don't think the presence of three .cpp files is directly
relevent. I suspect that the relevent factor is that you have three
*functions*, and your problem is passing the data between them.

--
Martin Bonner
Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]