From: Thorsten Ottosen (nesotto_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-21 16:01:37

| "Thorsten Ottosen" <nesotto_at_[hidden]> writes:

| > This came up in the long discussion we had some time ago about ADL and
| > names like begin()/end().
| >
| > I think the consensus was to use the form
| >
| > range::iterator<T>::type
| > range::value<T>::type
| > iterator::value<T>::type
| > iterator::difference<T>::type
|
| So I take it you just haven't had the time to make the change yet?

correct.

| > The only sorry thing about this is that in namespace std we already
| > have a class called iterator.
| ^
| template ;-)
|
| Yep, especially sorry because it's so useless ;-)
|
| OTOH we could give it an additional default argument so that when it
| is used as a unary metafunction it has the new semantics :-)

yeah, ok. I guess we could also demand that the range:: or iterator::
prefix is the name of a class.

| > When I write the standard proposal, I will go for the
| > range namespace + merge iterator<T>::type and
| > const_iterator<T>::type.
|
| You mean, you'll be proposing std::range::whatever?

yes.

| Ideally, you should have the semantic changes working in Boost well
| before you submit the proposal. Remember "standardize existing
| practice?"

Ideally yes. Do you find the standard process ideal? :-)

Anyway, I feel we have enough experience and that a C++0x standard library
without range support is going to hurt idiomatic C++0x.

There are some potential new ideas that you have been working on
(cursors + property map, the stuff about more general ranges from tuples,
fusion)
which might impact the proposal. However, as long as we make sure those things
can be
put into the framework, I don't see the problem about submitting a proposal
for the next meeting.

| > There are a number of larger changes we have already been
| > considering; it might make sense to make use of the range namespace
| > in the sane round for 1.34.
|
| "Sane round?"

hm...to much direct Danish in there:-) I meant "at the same time".

-Thorsten.