From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-22 08:10:14

"Thorsten Ottosen" <nesotto_at_[hidden]> writes:

> "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> | "Thorsten Ottosen" <nesotto_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> | > This came up in the long discussion we had some time ago about ADL and
> | > names like begin()/end().
> | >
> | > I think the consensus was to use the form
> | >
> | > range::iterator<T>::type
> | > range::value<T>::type
> | > iterator::value<T>::type
> | > iterator::difference<T>::type
> |
> | So I take it you just haven't had the time to make the change yet?
>
> correct.
>
> | > The only sorry thing about this is that in namespace std we already
> | > have a class called iterator.
> | ^
> | template ;-)
> |
> | Yep, especially sorry because it's so useless ;-)
> |
> | OTOH we could give it an additional default argument so that when it
> | is used as a unary metafunction it has the new semantics :-)
>
> yeah, ok. I guess we could also demand that the range:: or iterator::
> prefix is the name of a class.

I don't understand what you're getting at here.

> | Ideally, you should have the semantic changes working in Boost well
> | before you submit the proposal. Remember "standardize existing
> | practice?"
>
> Ideally yes. Do you find the standard process ideal? :-)

No. I'm just trying to help you get your proposal accepted, Thorsten.

> Anyway, I feel we have enough experience and that a C++0x standard
> library without range support is going to hurt idiomatic C++0x.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what you think in this case.

The range idiom isn't in widespread use yet, and I'm not convinced we
know the right design for a range library yet. More importantly, I
think many committee members will take the same point of view. On the
other hand, if you have a good stable interface well before the
meeting, there's at least a chance some committee members will have
experience with it by the time we vote, and that would be a huge
advantage.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting