From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-01 14:53:25

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Martin Wille wrote:
>
>>Sorry disappoint you, but, frankly, "So download" <insert product
>>here> "and start enjoying it" is exactly the kind of text I _never_
>>want to read in anything supposed to provide information.
>>
>>In fact, way more often than not, that kind of phrase, in my
>>experience, indicates an inferior product and make me not want to buy
>>or even try some product (be it software or a vacuum cleaner).
>>
>>Bragging about the number of happy customers has a similar effect.
>

> I've always felt that a "Who is using our project" list actually means "We
> aren't a complete failure! Really!". :-)

The list is fine and motivating for us. It is more than just an attempt
to use a big number as an argument.

Announcing how many happy customers you have is a kind of an "a million
flies can't err" argument, though. It's ok for a side note, but at a
prominent place (like close to the top of the start page) it makes
people ask "and that's the best you can tell us?". It feels like a
second-hand car dealer type of argument.

Regards,