From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-04 09:18:29

From: Martin Wille <mw8329_at_[hidden]>
> Peter Dimov wrote:
> > Martin Wille wrote:
> >
> >>Sorry disappoint you, but, frankly, "So download" <insert product
> >>here> "and start enjoying it" is exactly the kind of text I _never_
> >>want to read in anything supposed to provide information.
> >>
> >>In fact, way more often than not, that kind of phrase, in my
> >>experience, indicates an inferior product and make me not want to buy
> >>or even try some product (be it software or a vacuum cleaner).

There should be a download link that is prominent, but it doesn't
need to be woven into the marketing so directly. "If you're
interested in trying Boost, look for the download information in
the sidebar" should work.

> >>Bragging about the number of happy customers has a similar effect.
> >
> > I've always felt that a "Who is using our project" list actually means "We
> > aren't a complete failure! Really!". :-)
>
> The list is fine and motivating for us. It is more than just an attempt
> to use a big number as an argument.

Balance should resolve the forces here. Put one or two high
profile, punchy quotes in callouts on the home page. The rest
should be on "What the experts say about Boost" and "What Boost
users say about it" pages, with links from the home page.

> Announcing how many happy customers you have is a kind of an "a million
> flies can't err" argument, though. It's ok for a side note, but at a
> prominent place (like close to the top of the start page) it makes
> people ask "and that's the best you can tell us?". It feels like a
> second-hand car dealer type of argument.

You need marketing information, but you don't want to go over the
top. There's no reason everything needs to be on the home page.
If it provides a little information about Boost, with obvious,
useful links to the rest of the information visitors need, the
home page will be a success.