From: BRIDGES Dick (Dick.Bridges_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-01 18:16:52

[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On
> Behalf Of David Abrahams
> Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 11:29 AM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] [home page] Marketing?
>
> Peter Simons <simons_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > Martin Wille writes:
> >
> > > Sorry disappoint you, but, frankly, "So download" <insert
> > > product here> "and start enjoying it" is exactly the kind
> > > of text I _never_ want to read in anything supposed to
> > > provide information.
> >
> > I wanted to say the say the exact same thing, Martin. I couldn't
> > care less about having a link to "collected appeals to authority"
> > on the front page. I use the Boost libraries for technical
> > reasons, not because Bjarne Stroustrup (reportedly) uttered a
> > fancy one-liner about them at one point.
>
> You don't think we'll draw new users because Scott Meyers has
> recommended that people familiarize themselves with Boost?

I think it might depend on the market and the particular segments the
home page is attempting to gain. I'm just a programmer, but when I want
to use Boost libraries, I have to sell the idea to certain groups and
the home page helps. (I'll leave out the programmers we'd like to
"convert".)

I have to sell the Boost libraries to our legal department. Most of
their experience involves the GNU GPL. Oh good. Good thing I have that
License link. Even if the Acknowledgements at the bottom of the License
page cannot be moved to the top and put it in 72 point type, Harvard Law
still sells.

I have to sell the Boost libraries to mid-level managers. It's been a
while since they've fired up a compiler but they're pretty good with
project management software. You [plural, no one and everyone] may not
realize it, but the mailing list links and a quick tour through current
threads screams "SUPPORT". Boost "people" are not only helpful, they
are nice! That learning curve might not be too steep after all.

I have to sell the Boost libraries to QA, version control,
build-meister, etc. What about quality, standards and backward
compatibility? The links to reviews take care of most of those
questions. Charity work performed by some Boost members for a certain
international organization doesn't go unnoticed either. Now if our own
code were that good... ;)

<point>
I have to sell the Boost libraries to what I'll call "non-programming
other management" (includes Sales and Marketing). They tend to be what
I'll call "conservative": if they're not familiar with it, they tend to
be suspicious. They created NIH. [My attitude may show here.] I don't
need 50 million flies but a few dozen well-known examples would help to
increase name recognition *a lot*. I have this dream that someday one
of them asks: "Hey, can we tell *OUR* customers we use the Boost
libraries?"
</point>

BTW: The only segment I've never had to sell Boost to are those that use
their C++ compilers to compile C++.

Just my $.02

As always, thanks to all for the code and the mentoring.
Dick Bridges