From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-02 05:17:19

> That's one reason I'm puzzled by the deprecation of istream::read and
> streambuf::sgetn, which take buffer size parameters.

According to issue FDBK25976 Microsoft agree that it should not be marked as
deprecated, so this is likely to be fixed in the final release (the full URL
for issue is
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=38b90972-c662-4f1c-ae6a-28716bac091f)
but I'm not sure if that URL actually works unless you're logged on.

Interestingly these API's aren't documented as deprecated in the SDK as far
as I can see, so I wonder if someone just made a mistake? It would probably
be a good idea if someone would volunteer to give Microsoft's headers a once
over and see if there are any other API's that are needlessly deprecated.
Certainly there plenty of room for frustration here - I've seen deprecated
warning from std::copy and other std lib algorithms (and no *not* using
pointers), as well as the C API's.

John.