From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-03 23:28:15

Andrey Melnikov <melnikov_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Should I or my organization use Boost? Indirectly, you're probably
>> already a user, or soon will be, via the C++ Standard Library's TR1,
>> or via programs which use Boost like Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0. So
>> download Boost and start enjoying it directly!
>>
>> A little too perky. And I betcha few people know what TR1 is. And
>> nobody has it yet. And the paragraph doesn't answer the question it
>> poses. So I suggest:
>>
>> Boost libraries
>> give C++ programmers worldwide an edge in developing reliable and
>> maintainable programs. By using Boost, you will increase the
>> expressiveness of your code and reduce the amount of time and code
>> needed to build an application. Because you won't need to write,
>> test, and maintain a broad category of foundation components, you'll
>> be able to concentrate on code that directly addresses your
>> application domain.
>>
> The paragraph looks still a pure add worth to skip it.

Then skip it. This information matters to some people
(e.g. managers).

> Why boost library does give an edge, and other good libraries don't?

I would never claim that other libraries don't (especially other good
libraries). Please feel free to use any of them.

> Your variant doesn't answer the question either.

Excuse me? You snipped the first word of my answer:

  Should I or my organization use Boost? Yes. Indirectly, you're
                                          ^^^
  probably already a user, via popular programs like Adobe Acrobat
  Reader 7.0 that use Boost libraries internally. Boost libraries
  give C++ programmers worldwide an edge in developing reliable and
  maintainable programs. By using Boost, you will increase the
  expressiveness of your code and reduce the amount of time and code
  needed to build an application. Because you won't need to write,
  test, and maintain a broad category of foundation components, you'll
  be able to concentrate on code that directly addresses your
  application domain.

> And there's no universal answer at all. The shortest answer would
> be:
>
> Quality design of Boost libraries is confirmed by many famous C++ gurus.
> RTFM and check if Boost has a library that fit your needs.

That'll work great... for anyone who doesn't need to be convinced.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting