From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-05 13:34:23

Andrey Melnikov wrote:
> Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>>The "bjam install" is designed so that it *does not* collide across
>>versions. So there is no need to change the installation location for
>>new versions.
>
> Bjam install doesn't copy headers. Headers will cause problems.

Well the current, BBv1, one does copy the headers. And it avoids
collisions by installing to this structure:

[root]/libs/libboost*1_33.*
[root]/include/boost_1_33/boost/*.hpp

> Remember our discussion some time ago. I proposed the following structure:
>
> /dev/libs/libboost*
> /dev/boost_1_31/boost/*.hpp
>
> Which will allow to install multiple libraries (not only boost) into the
> same tree, if all libraries follow Boost naming conventions.

Truth is I don't remember, or I missed it in all my server problems :-)
But yes picking a generic top level directory on Windows, instead of
"Boost", is a good idea. Although I'd prefer to keep the structure below
that as it currently is. This is to keep it in line with what it does on
non-Windows platforms. It's hard enough to explain all this once, doing
it for each platform if they are different is just plain PITA.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything