From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-05 22:50:00

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:11:32 +0300, Andrey Melnikov wrote
> David Abrahams wrote:
> > "Hendrik Schober" <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Okay, I remember rewriting this sentence for you:
> >
> > Most of Boost's libraries are header-only.
> >
> > I suggested:
> >
> > Most Boost libraries consist entirely of header files.
> >

> This sentense is one more reason for header-only package.

I think the 'header' only package is a distraction from an improved packaging
system. What does it achieve? Decreased size? Are you going to throw out
docs? Examples? That seems doubtful. The thing is, in an uncompiled form, the
compiled libraries don't really add much to the size of boost so it won't be
alot of space saved. What are you going to do with date-time? In 1.33 about
95% of the library can be used header only -- only serialization and a couple
other features need the lib.

No, I think the real capability, if you want to reduce size, is to allow users
to pick and choose only the libs they want. And, by the way, it has to be
painless to upgrade with other libs as the need develops or we will just
create a support mess.

Jeff