From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-06 08:53:25

Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:

> From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
>> Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:
>> > From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>

>> > It has one: "to match."
>>
>> No, I mean, you can't just say "this;" you have to say "this <noun>."
>> It's the <noun> that's missing.
>
> Since when? I've never heard of that "rule."

Your "sarcasm" is unwarranted.

I learned this rule from Andrew Koenig, who said it was one of the
surprising things he learned from his editors after writing his first
book.

The problem here is that the antecedent is unclear. What is "this?"
"classifying types?" "matching against several variations?"

> Can you cite a source for that?

  http://wwwnew.towson.edu/ows/proref.htm

has an example that exactly reflects your text, but you can google up
numerous examples online that discuss the need for pronoun/antecedent
agreement and clarity.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting