From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-06 12:10:04

From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:
> > From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>

> >> No, I mean, you can't just say "this;" you have to say "this <noun>."
> >> It's the <noun> that's missing.
> >
> > Since when? I've never heard of that "rule."
>
> Your "sarcasm" is unwarranted.

Actually, there was no sarcasm. I didn't want to call your
statement a rule. I chose to put "rule" in quotes to identify
your statement as something presented as a rule that quite likely
was never established by a competent authority.

In retrospect, I can see how that could come off wrong, so I
apologize for the confusion.

> I learned this rule from Andrew Koenig, who said it was one of the
> surprising things he learned from his editors after writing his first
> book.
>
> The problem here is that the antecedent is unclear. What is "this?"
> "classifying types?" "matching against several variations?"

The antecedent could be "classifying types," but "to match" came
later and is more specific. Thus, "to match" has a stronger
association, which doesn't leave much room for the alternative to
my ear. The pronoun could be replaced to remove all ambiguity,
but that doesn't mean the sentence is _unclear_ as written.

> > Can you cite a source for that?
>
> http://wwwnew.towson.edu/ows/proref.htm

I've never before heard the "one, clear, unmistakable noun"
discussion and was never taught that identification with
antecedents was that strict. Certainly you should remove
troublesome ambiguity, but must one always remove all
possibility?

The first example given,

   After putting the disk in the cabinet, Mabel sold it.

doesn't strike me as necessarily confusing if read in context.
Yes, it can be made clearer, but context normally fills in the
gaps. I wouldn't change it unless it remains confusing when read
as part of the paragraph to which it belongs.

> has an example that exactly reflects your text, but you can google up
> numerous examples online that discuss the need for pronoun/antecedent
> agreement and clarity.

I find my text even less confusing than the disk/cabinet example.

Unfortunately, English doesn't rigidly follow rules as much as
grammarians would like. There are too many conflicting rules and
regional practices to make it so.