From: Jost, Andrew (Andrew_Jost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-10 20:20:04

Good point, but I would also like to see overloaded == and != operators
using boost::none.

> Regarding guaranteed object delivery:
> I must say I find this design aim questionable. The whole
> point of these facilities (Boost.Optional and your
> dual_state) is that there are situations where it is simply
> not possible to assign a meaningful value to the object. It
> is only logical that this implies that wherever the object is
> used, there must either be some invariant in user code that
> guarantees that it is defined, or an if/else to deal with
> both cases. Quickly default constructing the underlying
> object when it turns out that the user is attempting to use
> it when it is not defined seems like a very arbitrary thing
> to do, and I believe it will only be sensible and correct in
> very few situations. This is the first reason why the notion
> of Boost.Optional being a model of OptionalPointee appeals to me.

Our opinions differ on this point. I believe there are cases where
providing a default object is quite appropriate, but again, it all
depends on the application. If, as you say, an "invariant in user code"
can be used to control a program's behavior, why can't the defined and
documented behavior of default object delivery serve as the invariant --
especially if it simplifies syntax?

> Regarding full operator support:
> I'm very skeptic about this design aim, mainly because it is
> an attempt at making the class as a whole a transparent
> wrapper around the underlying object, which is fundamentally
> not possible in C++ and will only cause confusion. Sure, the
> syntax is nice for a few cases, but conceptually it makes the
> interface complex and inconsistent.

I'm skeptical, too. I am happy to discard this idea.

> This is the second reason
> why the notion of Boost.Optional being a model of
> OptionalPointee appeals to me: the syntax and semantics are
> pretty much as one would expect (from a smart pointer).
>
> So, in conclusion, the motivation for your dual_state is very
> valid, but personally I think Boost.Optional is a more
> appropriate design.
>
> Eelis

Thanks, for your opinion. I would say we mostly agree, except that I
believe there are cases where guaranteed object delivery is useful.
Perhaps something like dual_state would be best built as an addition to
Boost.optional, as David Abrahams has suggested. So we could say
Boost.optional is a robust and appropriate design, and dual_state may
offer some useful (though, uh, optional) additions to Boost.optional.
Thanks again.

-Andy