From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-13 13:33:30

Thorsten Ottosen <nesotto_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hi Dave,
>

> David Abrahams <dave <at> boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
>> I note that http://www.boost.org/libs/range/doc/range.html uses the
>> term "closed-open range." The term used in prior art is "half-open
>> range." Is there a good reason to invent new terminology here?
>

> For some reason my replies don't get to the list yet.
> So I'll post using the web-interface.
>
> To answer the question: otherwise, how do you now which end that is open and
> which that is closed?

By understanding the conventional meaning of half-open, I happen to
know what a half-open range is, but when you say "closed-open" without
defining it, I wonder if I know what you're talking about. You could
define it, but then if you're really worried someone will be confused
by half-open, you could define _that_ and stay consistent with normal
terminology.

And incidentally, AFAICT nobody uses a range built the other way (it's
difficult to work with), so half-open always means "closed at the
beginning."

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting